The royal botanical garden is also known as Jardim Botanico and is located in the south zone of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. This garden is over 200 years old. It is one of the most beautiful and best protected green areas in the city of Rio de Janeiro.
The total area of botanical garden is 140 hectors and lies at the foot of the Corcovado Mountain. There are more than 7000 plants species. The garden has 134 palm lined avenue.
Among the plants there are also orchids, bromeliads, cacti, huge bamboos and different types of carnivorous plants. The Rio de Janeiro botanical garden is largely green not exceedingly floral.
The botanical is remarkable for various species of birds. It has almost 140 species of birds including Rusty-Margined Guan, Magnificent Frigatebird, Cocoi Heron, Slaty-Breasted Wood-Rail, Maroon-Bellied Parakeet, Channel-Billed Toucan, Yellow-Eared Woodpecker, White-Bearded Manakin, Yellow-Olive Flatbill, Seven-Colored Tanager, Green-Headed Tanager, Violaceous Euphoni and Common Waxbill.
- Botanical garden was founded in 1808 by john VI of Portugal.
- UNESCO declared this garden as a biosphere reserve in 1992.
- It is the home of large and significant Brazilian research center. Having 32,000 collection of botany related books.
- Sometimes monkeys are visible during the visit.
- It is the part of tazuca national park (tazuca rainforest).
- The most important fact of this garden is the Barbosa Rodrigues alley. The alley of the botanical garden is about 700 meters long including 137 royal palms.
- At present this garden comprises about 83 hectors of tropical forest. Moreover the cultivated gardens covered 54 hectors including paths, lagoons, several historic building and sculptors.
Best feature of Jordim Botanico:
- Fountain of the Muses,
- Friar Leandro’s Lake,
- Monkey’s River,
- Barbosa Rodrigues’Alley and its 137 Royal Palms,
- Japanese Garden.
Japanese garden established in 1935and gate reopened in 1995. Among them the central fountain which is located at the midpoint of the meeting of the alleys, is one of the most beautiful tourist’s attraction of the garden. It was made in England. The orchid house is also great attraction in the garden.
Opening hours of the Botanical Garden
Botanical garden is in the south side of Rio de Janeiro. So could easily reach the garden by public transportation from Ipanema and Capacabena beaches. Gets open at 8 am and close at 5 pm (Monday-Sunday) during daylight saving time. It is closed on December 25 and January 1. Entrance fee is R$ 5, 00.
Botanical garden video
The botanical garden is not quite a zoo but you can take a little bit of fun by visiting this place when you don’t have work. It is the place where you will see the monuments with authentic, imaginative and archaeological importance.